Operational planning is the process of developing, utilizing and analyzing financial models to arrive at and evaluate business alternatives and decisions.
The operational planning process encompasses the following:
- Creating financial projections linked to business plans
- Developing financial models to analyze business decisions such as make or buy, lease or purchase and hire or outsource
- Establishing common reporting standards for business units
- Creating analytical tools that allow management to evaluate the operational effectiveness and cost efficiency of the current business model
- Developing real-time reporting systems that produce financial information which allows decisions to be made between formal reporting cycles
- Creating scenario & simulation financial models
- Establishing non-financial objectives to improve work
- Establishing firm-wide fixed asset acquisition programs and inventory analysis
The objective of Strategic Technology Planning is to align the use of the current technology platform including policies, standards, guidelines, trends and architecture with overall business goals and objectives. Strategic development focuses on the following technology issues: information, application & technology architecture; management strategies; initiatives and projects; infrastructure assessments; information system capacity sizing; resource planning; and project prioritization, planning & execution.
By evaluating strategy and operations, our three-stage approach results in managers and employees, together, implementing decisions congruent with their shared culture, values and direction.
To achieve planning success the organization will:
- Select the right people for the strategic planning team – stakeholders, content experts and implementers – those key individuals prepared to look beyond their own perspectives to develop new ideas and insights.
- Choose the appropriate process – a focus and structured thinking approach are essential ingredients for success.
- Recognize there is a challenge in managing group dynamics and the diverse interest and perspectives of individual team members.
An independent process facilitator establishes a positive group environment, providing planning team members the opportunity to focus energy on the vision and direction of the organization.
As determined by client needs, our strategic planning services range from delivery of highly focused one-day strategic direction workshops, to full-scale off-site strategic interventions.