Job #: 1508
Title: Paralegal, Chicago IL
The senior paralegal works directly with and supports the Chief Privacy & International Trade Counsel on the company’s trade sanctions compliance program, and also privacy compliance program. The senior paralegal position assists with complex matters and projects, protocol and procedure drafting, third party discovery requests, day-to-day organizational efficiencies and other matters as assigned. May focus on general corporate, insurance, or other specific areas.
· Support to attorneys and compliance colleagues on a wide range of legal matters related to sanctions laws and data privacy laws.
· Prepare presentations in PowerPoint on sanctions and data privacy matters
· Maintain corporate records for internal subsidiaries including but not limited to, maintaining logs of data protection agreements, updating legal summaries and compliance protocols and procedures, preparing summaries of laws or developments, and coordinating other documents related to sanctions program housekeeping.
· Collect, analyze and present and report on various types of data.
· Will work with other Legal, Compliance & Public Affairs Department and business colleagues.
· Track all deadlines and keep lawyers informed about impending project milestone dates, and other matters.
· May conduct legal research; provide summaries on relevant business, regulatory and compliance issues.
· Responsible for document organization and retention processes; organizes and maintains all core legal/business documents. May be responsible for legal filings and other such requirements.
· Participate in a document review, including issue spotting, and client requests.
· Schedule meetings and heavy calendar management in Microsoft Outlook
· Coordinate domestic and international travel arrangements and meeting schedules, including preparation of agendas, and meeting materials
· Prepare correspondence
· Oversee record-keeping, as necessary
· Fax, file, scan, and photocopy materials, as requested
· May be required to create, build and maintain a series of SharePoint or similar team subsites to manage the team’s electronic files, workflows, action items, and investigation casefile metrics
· Manage incoming and outgoing mail and email
Experienced at organizing and managing a wide variety of legal and compliance projects
· Excellent organization and communication skills
· Keen attention to detail and excellent analytical ability
· Exercises sound judgement and discretion with highly confidential information
· Aspires to learn new skills and areas of the law
· Able to work under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities
Able to organize and handle multiple priorities
Excellent writing, proofreading and communication skills
· Experience and proficiency in MS Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint and PowerPoint
· Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
· Professional and positive attitude and experience interacting with high level executives and senior management
· Strong follow-up and execution skills
· Ability to work independently and with a team
· Collaborative work style
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
· Flexibility to work overtime when requested
Knowledge of international trade law or sanctions law, or privacy/data protection law is a plus
Experience working or studying abroad or knowledge of a second language is a plus
· Project management certification a plus
· Notary public a plus