Job #: 1383
Title: Equity Applications Support Global Head
Momentum is looking for the Global Head of Equity App Support.
Equities are a leading franchise, offering a full-service cash and derivatives business with industry-leading fundamental and macro research and award-winning analytics. The Equities business leadership recognizes how critical a state-of-the-art technology platform is in creating a top-ranking equities franchise.
About Equity Application Support
Equity Application Support is a global organization located in New York, London, Japan, Hong Kong, Mexico and India with a mix of full time employees and vendor resources. In addition to standard trading floor business-facing support activities and ITIL incidents / problem / change processes, the group is also responsible for improving the stability and supportability of the production environment by creating automation and better monitoring, as well as working with the development teams to find and resolve bugs in a timely fashion.
Overall purpose of role
The Equity business is a growth focus for the bank. With a larger IT team in 2018, we are moving from regionally aligned support teams to globally aligned teams by business area in order to support the global trading desks more consistently and work with development teams more consistently.
Depending on the candidates’ background, they will be responsible for EITHER the Equity Cash High Touch support team globally OR the Equity Cash Electronic support team globally.
The successful candidate will
- work with their local teams to establish consistent production environments and support practices across the regions, and setup follow-the-sun support model
- face-off with global business heads and senior IT heads on management topics,
- face-off with development teams to address stability and supportability issues,
and upskill the support staff to create automation and better monitoring,
- as well as be involved in the support requirements during the development phase.
While BAU issues are a natural part of the role, the emphasis of this position is to drive the global teams to be more Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) capable, switch the organization from a reactive mode to a proactive mode, and automate repetitive tasks to reduce support cost through scripts, robotics or improvements in internal applications.
The candidate should be technically astute, detail oriented, well organized and proactive. Be able to challenge status quo by thinking outside of the box for better resolutions rather than repeat the same process and procedure.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
As in all support roles, the candidate will be called up on to make critical decisions when major production outages occur. The candidate must keep a clear focus under pressure, with the correct priority in mind, then work with all relevant teams to quickly resolve the issue with minimum business impact. Once the outage is over, the candidate must review each issue that happened during the outage and ensure it doesn’t occur again regardless of the cause, e.g. vendor, infrastructure, upstream, bugs, human errors, lack of monitoring, inadequate recovery tools. etc.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
- The candidate should have 10 years of work experience in Equity IT space, and have 5+ years managed support teams previously.
- 5+years of working with Linux, database SQL, networking, scripting, and programming.
- The candidate should be able to communicate to senior stake holders, able to influence development teams to focus on production issues, able to work autonomously, be able to navigate a complex organization.
- More importantly, the candidate must be able to inspire and teach the staff to gain this knowledge through training and leading by example.